Chard Spanakopita Recipe
2 bunches chard
1 cup cottage cheese
1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
Juice of 2 lemons
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 bunch green onions, chopped
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
1-2 bunches fresh dill, gently chopped
1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
Salt and black pepper, to taste
1 cup butter, melted
10 sheets phyllo dough
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Strip chard from stems, reserving, washing and chopping both. Blanch leaves and stems separately in well-seasoned water until fully cooked. Press out excess water with towels, and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, mix together cottage cheese, feta, lemon juice and eggs to combine. Mix in herbs and nutmeg; season with salt and pepper. Stir in greens mixture. The filling should be relatively solid and moist without being drippy. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Pour filling mixture into shallow rectangular baking dish. Cover the filling with one sheet of phyllo. Brush melted butter generously across the top of the sheet. Repeat with all phyllo sheets. If the sheets break that’s okay; it can be a patchwork.
- Tuck the sides of the phyllo inside and around the edges of the baking dish. Score the top layer to create the individual serving portions. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Before serving, cut baked spanakopita into individual portions using the scores as a guide.