Essential Buddhist Teachings offers an in-depth understanding of core Buddhist teachings and meditation practices. These teachings are instrumental on the journey of awakening as taught within the Insight Meditation tradition. The series emphasizes cultivation of mindful awareness and learning to apply and live these wisdom practices in our daily lives.
This online class series gives an overview of:
- Compassion Practice
This is a self-paced class series. There is no set time participants need to be available to review the class material. Please enjoy at your convenience.
- The Eightfold Path: Wise Understanding, Wise Intention, Wise Speech, Wise Action/Ethics, Wise Livelihood, Wise Effort, Wise Mindfulness, Wise Concentration
Dharma Buddy Groups
- 10 chapters for self-paced participation - 30 videos, 3 segments per chapter, that you can view at your convenience
- Teacher support - 2 live group teleconferences with Mark Coleman for questions about meditation practice and teachings
- E-Sangha - connect in small groups via our Dharma Buddy Groups to support your practice in the class and beyond
- Downloadable material - audio recordings of class series - compatible with iTunes and Android media libraries, downloadable home practice exercises, and 11 additional readings
If you would like to work with a small group of fellow classmates, we will connect you with a "Dharma Buddy Group." Talking between classes with someone can be really helpful in supporting your exploration of the teachings and just remembering to practice. A link to a survey to sign up for a Dharma Buddy Group will be in your confirmation email. Buddies will be assigned through May 28th, 2017.
Suggested Course Reading ListRegistration, Payment, and Accessing the Class Material
- Class material becomes available on March 15th
- Live Group Teleconferences: Monday, May 29th, and Monday, June 19th at 6pm PT
- Class material available until August 31st, 2017.
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email with the link to this class page where the class materials will be made available beginning March 15th, 2017. This course is useful for newer students as well as more experienced meditators who want to refresh their knowledge. There is no specific time frame in which students need to watch the video or be available for class material.
Limited scholarships are available. To discuss scholarship options, contact the Volunteer Coordinator at Volunteering@spiritrock.org or (415) 488-0164 x 224.
This class series was originally taught and recorded in 2014.